WGU Students
Readiness Assessment - Printable Version

+- WGU Students (http://wgustudents.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Welcome (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Questions, Suggestions and Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Readiness Assessment (/showthread.php?tid=529)

Readiness Assessment - mtaylor - 01-16-2011 12:37 PM

I have just applied to WGU, thinking of transferring from another online university (depending on transfer of credits). I am wondering what to expect from the readiness assessment. I received an email that I could begin the assessment and that it would take approx. 2 hours. I have my associates degree in Elementary Education but am nervous about this assessment!

RE: Readiness Assessment - jlt - 01-16-2011 01:37 PM

If I recall correctly (it's been over 1 1/2 years since I took it), the readiness assessment just asks you a bunch of basic reading comprehension, grammar, and (possibly) math questions. A few of the English questions are about really obscure stuff that you probably haven't thought about since 8th grade. In general, though, it's pretty easy, it's just testing you to make sure you can read and write and (maybe?) do math. Kind of like taking the SAT, though not nearly as long.

RE: Readiness Assessment - Dana - 01-16-2011 02:09 PM

When I took them, there were 2. One for reading/writing and one for math. I think they were pretty basic. They just want to make sure you have the skills to handle college level courses. If you've already got an associates, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.

RE: Readiness Assessment - mtaylor - 01-16-2011 02:49 PM

Thank you for your replies. Plan on taking the test in the next two days.
I am hoping that all of my credits will transfer and I won't have to go backwards and take extra courses.

RE: Readiness Assessment - tes5884 - 01-17-2011 12:09 AM

(01-16-2011 12:37 PM)mtaylor Wrote:  I have just applied to WGU, thinking of transferring from another online university (depending on transfer of credits). I am wondering what to expect from the readiness assessment. I received an email that I could begin the assessment and that it would take approx. 2 hours. I have my associates degree in Elementary Education but am nervous about this assessment!

Took it last week - basicly highschool level math and reading comprehension, also a essay its very easy no worries good luck!

RE: Readiness Assessment - mtaylor - 01-17-2011 04:03 AM

Thank you for letting me know! I will try to set some time aside to take today!

RE: Readiness Assessment - S3v3n - 01-17-2011 04:13 AM

Jst like everyone else has stated ths test is very easy. You should do fine.

RE: Readiness Assessment - Kimie Kakes - 03-03-2011 05:28 PM

I'm going to be taking this test tomorrow... The only thing I'm really worried about is math! I have NEVER been good at math.

I wish you the best of luck, and also hope its as easy as everyone claims!

RE: Readiness Assessment - Kimie Kakes - 03-05-2011 09:32 AM

I got a call this morning telling me I failed. But I'm getting e-mails telling me to apply for my aid.... This sucks...

RE: Readiness Assessment - Jason - 03-05-2011 10:54 AM

(03-05-2011 09:32 AM)Kimie Kakes Wrote:  I got a call this morning telling me I failed. But I'm getting e-mails telling me to apply for my aid.... This sucks...

Well, the emails are probably just automatic, so just ignore them. I would find out what area I was lacking on the assessment, and study on my own to improve those skills--then reapply later. Also find out how long you have to wait to reapply.

I failed the test around 2006 or 2007, and decided to study on my own, and reapply later. Now, I am enrolled with no credit transfers and I am on track to graduate in November, so don't let it discourage you from going to college.

RE: Readiness Assessment - maryjean - 03-05-2011 11:28 AM

Chin up! Study and try again. You never fail until you quit trying - honest!

RE: Readiness Assessment - sabellmer - 03-05-2011 12:48 PM

I agree with maryjean. I actually found a plaque with that saying and gave it to my daughter during one of her really down days. You can do it!!!

RE: Readiness Assessment - wabrn111 - 03-05-2011 02:16 PM

I think I remember when I took it a few months back that you can take it once every 6 months. If you can find out the areas you are having difficulty in you can study and be ready for school in the fall. Everything happens for a reason I believe, just don't give up!!

RE: Readiness Assessment - Kimie Kakes - 03-06-2011 03:27 AM

Yeah the only part I didn’t pass was the math. And I honestly think it was because I couldn’t concentrate. I did it down at my brothers, and I told him it was a test and I needed to concentrate... But he wouldn’t be quiet long enough for me to even read a question let alone try to think.

I can try again in six months, and I will if I'm not doing another school by then. I just really need to start doing something.

RE: Readiness Assessment - maryjean - 03-06-2011 03:49 AM

(03-06-2011 03:27 AM)Kimie Kakes Wrote:  Yeah the only part I didn’t pass was the math. And I honestly think it was because I couldn’t concentrate. I did it down at my brothers, and I told him it was a test and I needed to concentrate... But he wouldn’t be quiet long enough for me to even read a question let alone try to think.

I can try again in six months, and I will if I'm not doing another school by then. I just really need to start doing something.

Why don't you start studying for and taking CLEP tests? They're uber-cheap, and will cut down on some of the introductory courses you will need to take @ WGU. You'll be that much ahead in 6 months.

RE: Readiness Assessment - dbaylor - 03-06-2011 12:19 PM

CLEP tests are not accepted by WGU.

RE: Readiness Assessment - maryjean - 03-06-2011 03:02 PM

Did not know that! What about ECE or DANTES? I had lots of ECE exams on my transcript to get into the BSN program.

RE: Readiness Assessment - dbaylor - 03-07-2011 12:43 PM

Don't know. I just remember them saying that CLEP is verboten.

RE: Readiness Assessment - Melielli - 03-22-2011 02:19 PM

Hi- I am a new user and am hoping for some advice if someone has time. I have been out of school for about 10 years and was so excited to find out about WGU. It sounds like a great place to get my education degree. I was eager to start right away and did all the necessary steps. My enrollment advisor said that the readiness assessment was very basic and simple, and that I didn't need to brush up on any skills. So, I took it and found out last week that I didn't pass the math. Needless to say, I am heartbroken and also frustrated with the 6-month waiting period. I am wondering if anyone has advice on some good resources to prepare for the math portion. It has always been my weak spot, and I don't even know what to study since no one at the school would tell me what questions I missed. I was also wondering if anyone could recommend any online tutoring sites? Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I wish that the school would admit me and let me review math classes that didn't count towards any requirements. I just want to get started.

RE: Readiness Assessment - spottedcatfish - 03-22-2011 03:15 PM

Thanks to another member here, I found this site last week: http://www.khanacademy.org

It literally starts you out with adding one digit numbers and then moves you through all of the math concepts through what looks like pretty advanced calculus. Just for kicks, I started at the beginning and I really like it. (To be super honest with you, I couldn't remember how to do long division by hand, OK, too many years with a calculator, so that was the first video I watched!)

It didn't seem like the Readiness Exam went much past pretty basic algebra and graphing basic linear equations, so you could stop there, or keep going for a really solid refresher. Depending on what you want to go into, it might be worthwhile to keep going in the interest of making your math courses easier once you do enroll.

I'll probably never need to take another math course in my life (go go IT major + transfer credits from a previous degree), but it's such a shame that I spent all that time in high school learning calculus to just forget it, so I'll let you know if I think the whole program is any good once I get to the end!

RE: Readiness Assessment - MissDraegonfly - 03-23-2011 01:28 PM

Here is another resource: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/

RE: Readiness Assessment - sabellmer - 03-23-2011 02:10 PM

duh!!! I forgot about the MIT open courseware - should have mentioned it days ago. This site is awesome. Almost every class that MIT teaches is represented and there are links to the openstudy site where you can start studypads with students that are actually attending the brick and mortar MIT campus.

RE: Readiness Assessment - Melielli - 03-23-2011 03:24 PM

Thank you so much for the resources. I really appreciate it!! I am about to check them out. Hopefully, it will start to come back to me and I can teach myself. Thanks again!

RE: Readiness Assessment - brandon - 03-31-2011 01:00 AM

I'm applying to WGU and just received the e-mail regarding the assessment. My primary concern is math, because I've forgotten most of what I learned in high school (graduated 06). I wasn't horrible at math in school, but didn't retain much due to how the classes were taught.

My question is - while taking the assessment is it allowed or frowned upon to refer back to resources (websites such as http://www.khanacademy.org)? Also, is there any reason to use a graphing calculator?

Thanks!

Brandon

RE: Readiness Assessment - maryjean - 03-31-2011 02:31 AM

The math was pretty basic - graphing calculator? I DEFINITELY would've remembered that (and failed, and not completed my degree and not be coming back for another) Smile

RE: Readiness Assessment - MissDraegonfly - 03-31-2011 02:41 AM

(03-31-2011 01:00 AM)brandon Wrote:  I'm applying to WGU and just received the e-mail regarding the assessment. My primary concern is math, because I've forgotten most of what I learned in high school (graduated 06). I wasn't horrible at math in school, but didn't retain much due to how the classes were taught.

My question is - while taking the assessment is it allowed or frowned upon to refer back to resources (websites such as http://www.khanacademy.org)? Also, is there any reason to use a graphing calculator?

Thanks!

Brandon

There are a few math questions with basic geometry and trig that you would learn in HS. There is nothing that says or asks you to agree to not use a calculator or look elsewhere for help on the test, so your probably fine in regards to rules. I think even the college math course final exam allows you to use a graphing calculator, so I have been told. Two hours is a lot of time for the assessment test, believe me.

RE: Readiness Assessment - dbaylor - 03-31-2011 02:25 PM

Don't worry about it. I graduated in 85 and math is my worst subject but I passed and only used a simple calculator.

RE: Readiness Assessment - r_to_the_k - 04-05-2011 08:08 AM

(03-05-2011 09:32 AM)Kimie Kakes Wrote:  I got a call this morning telling me I failed. But I'm getting e-mails telling me to apply for my aid.... This sucks...

I'm in the same boat... I am still waiting to hear from my Enrollment Counselor, to see what area(s) I failed. I know I sucked at the math, but I know I did well on the essay and reading sections. I can't see how just doing bad in one section could cause you to fail the entire assessment...

RE: Readiness Assessment - Jason - 04-06-2011 01:46 AM

Just some friendly advice for people applying to WGU: if you haven't touch any type of math in many years, it would be best to do a refresher before attempting the readiness assessment. I know people tend to say it is really easy, but if you have forgotten a lot of middle school/high school level math-- you won't pass. Not to mention, I believe you can only apply once every six-month, so make the best use out of your attempt by testing what you do and don't remember. It never hurts to be over prepared because you are going to do even harder math once you are admitted to WGU.

RE: Readiness Assessment - tootalldave - 06-10-2011 11:30 PM

Hi, i have a few questions.
How many questions are on each test?
How many questions must be correct to pass?
Is there a time limit to complete each section?
Do both sections math, language and essay need to completed on the same day?
How many words do they expect the essay to be?
Thanks in advance,
Dave

RE: Readiness Assessment - maryjean - 06-11-2011 01:14 AM

Dave - I cannot give you specifics, but the test is not that hard. There is a time limit, but I found it VERY generous. Do you have any previous college background? If so, you should be fine.

RE: Readiness Assessment - tootalldave - 06-12-2011 05:10 AM

You are allowed 2 hours for each test.
Math test: 21 multiple choice questions and you must score 61% to pass.
Language test: 27 multiple choice questions and you must score 67% to pass.
Essay: 200 words min - 800 words max.
I would not say that the test are hard, but if you have not practiced your math in a while, you may want to review some simple fractions up to algebra.

RE: Readiness Assessment - lia - 08-25-2012 09:11 AM

Does anyone give me any idea about the topics for the essay in the readiness test?
Is is a timed test?

RE: Readiness Assessment - Annie_C - 08-25-2012 09:54 AM

I just took mine yesterday. It's pretty much an opinion essay. and you give your reason/argument. 200-800 words and 30 minutes to complete.

I didn't spend too much time on it (i hope that doesn't bit me in the butt later) I feel like since the essay is on the fly, they shouldn't expect me to give actual facts on it, because it's not like I could research the topic before hand.

I think they just want to have a general idea of where you are at. I don't even know if I've passed yet... so don't take my advice! Smile

RE: Readiness Assessment - kd7ctv - 08-26-2012 09:30 AM

Wish I would have found this thread before I just took the test. I won't be surprised if I failed the math part. Never been to good at it and heck some of that I have never seen. But then again who knows.

RE: Readiness Assessment - Annie_C - 08-26-2012 10:00 AM

I found out I passed! The only part I was kind of worried about was the essay. Only because it was short, but I guess it was good enough. :-)

RE: Readiness Assessment - kd7ctv - 08-28-2012 09:24 AM

Guess I am waiting 3 months, It was the math just like I thought it would be...

RE: Readiness Assessment - maryjean - 08-28-2012 11:06 AM

Well, get thee to http://www.khanacademy.com and get cracking. Three months will go by before you know it!

RE: Readiness Assessment - kd7ctv - 08-28-2012 11:38 AM

Yeah the kicker is I am sure if I were to take it now I would do ok, after a quick review of what I hadn't seen in so almost 20 years.

RE: Readiness Assessment - EmadKamel - 10-15-2013 06:06 AM

Hello everyone.

The Language test: 27 multiple choice questions and you must score 67% to pass.

I am trying to find a good resource for practice, any ideas ?

Also, how to practice for writing an essay ?

RE: Readiness Assessment - King Aires - 10-15-2013 10:33 AM

Seriously believe me when I tell you not to sweat it. It is a basic skills test. You should not have a problem passing it with everyday basic knowledge unless you have not been in school for like 30 years or something.

RE: Readiness Assessment - EmadKamel - 10-16-2013 01:01 AM

BINGO, i have finished high SchooL over 30 years ago. Confused

So now what ? Idea

(10-15-2013 10:33 AM)King Aires Wrote:  Seriously believe me when I tell you not to sweat it. It is a basic skills test. You should not have a problem passing it with everyday basic knowledge unless you have not been in school for like 30 years or something.

RE: Readiness Assessment - King Aires - 10-16-2013 05:16 AM

Now you get a good calculator, and find a quiet place. Brush up on some basic grammar and APA formatting skills and take your RA. Then you never get told how you did and start your degree on the first of the month Smile

RE: Readiness Assessment - EmadKamel - 10-16-2013 05:30 AM

I really appreciate your feedback.

I was able to BING, what you recommended and found the following :

http://www.worthpublishers.com/Catalog/uploadedFiles/Content/Worth/Custom_Solutions/Psychology_ForeWords/Marek_Ch04_APAstyle_Color.pdfIdea

http://dacc.nmsu.edu/library/Citations/styleguide.pdfIdea

But I am was not able to find what does RA stands for ?Huh

Unless you meant Rheumatoid Arthritis Undecided

(10-16-2013 05:16 AM)King Aires Wrote:  Now you get a good calculator, and find a quiet place. Brush up on some basic grammar and APA formatting skills and take your RA. Then you never get told how you did and start your degree on the first of the month Smile

RE: Readiness Assessment - Daniel - 10-16-2013 06:23 AM

RA = Readiness Assessment

RE: Readiness Assessment - King Aires - 10-16-2013 11:04 AM

Thank you Daniel

RE: Readiness Assessment - OceansBlue - 10-17-2013 03:09 AM

Thanks for all the info....................

RE: Readiness Assessment - WGU_Jen - 10-30-2013 02:18 PM

Just completed my Readiness Assessment! Even after reading all the tips and comments, and studying based on various (very helpful) links, I was still surprised how difficult some of the test appeared to be. Could be I am just anxious to find out my results! I am so excited about beginning my journey with WGU! I already feel like a student. I will be so bummed if I somehow end up failing. I took my time on the Language section and completed it in 41 minutes. Completed the Math in 34 minutes. The Essay stressed me out the most. I have always scored high in Essays, but the time limit constraint got to me. I somehow spent an hour on an awfully written 302 word essay. Undecided Very nervous to find out my results...

I have my next call scheduled with my EC tomorrow morning. Is it possible she will have my results that soon? I took the RA without discussing it with her (she is not the best communicator).

Here's to hoping I passed! Cheers!

RE: Readiness Assessment - S3v3n - 11-01-2013 10:54 AM

(10-30-2013 02:18 PM)WGU_Jen Wrote:  Just completed my Readiness Assessment! Even after reading all the tips and comments, and studying based on various (very helpful) links, I was still surprised how difficult some of the test appeared to be. Could be I am just anxious to find out my results! I am so excited about beginning my journey with WGU! I already feel like a student. I will be so bummed if I somehow end up failing. I took my time on the Language section and completed it in 41 minutes. Completed the Math in 34 minutes. The Essay stressed me out the most. I have always scored high in Essays, but the time limit constraint got to me. I somehow spent an hour on an awfully written 302 word essay. Undecided Very nervous to find out my results...

I have my next call scheduled with my EC tomorrow morning. Is it possible she will have my results that soon? I took the RA without discussing it with her (she is not the best communicator).

Here's to hoping I passed! Cheers!

Well good luck.

RE: Readiness Assessment - taligator - 12-08-2013 01:00 AM

I wanted to bump this thread up because it has some good resources. I've been using ALEKS (it's $20/month) for math. Math is my weakest point and always has been.

The reason I went with a pay program instead of Khan academy is that it tells me where I need help. I started ALEKS with the Basic Math, took the assessment and scored really really badly. I just do not have that foundational math in my brain. I've spent a few hours working on it and going through each lesson and it gave me another assessment, I've improved but there are still areas that are weak.

My plan is to finish up basic math and start on a pre-algebra, then go to college algebra too. I love algebra so hopefully that won't be nearly so painful.

I have a Feb. 1 start date so I've got the time to work through all these math classes while waiting for my start date. I plan to ask to take the college algebra as one of my first classes to get it out of the way. If I get through statistics while waiting, I'll try to get that one out of the way too.

As for the readiness assessment, I'm not taking that until I feel more comfortable with math. I do NOT want to wait any longer to start with school so I'm going to study my head off for a week or so and get it done then.

RE: Readiness Assessment - swattz101 - 12-11-2013 12:05 PM

(12-08-2013 01:00 AM)taligator Wrote:  I wanted to bump this thread up because it has some good resources. I've been using ALEKS (it's $20/month) for math. Math is my weakest point and always has been.

The reason I went with a pay program instead of Khan academy is that it tells me where I need help. I started ALEKS with the Basic Math, took the assessment and scored really really badly. I just do not have that foundational math in my brain. I've spent a few hours working on it and going through each lesson and it gave me another assessment, I've improved but there are still areas that are weak.

My plan is to finish up basic math and start on a pre-algebra, then go to college algebra too. I love algebra so hopefully that won't be nearly so painful.

I have a Feb. 1 start date so I've got the time to work through all these math classes while waiting for my start date. I plan to ask to take the college algebra as one of my first classes to get it out of the way. If I get through statistics while waiting, I'll try to get that one out of the way too.

As for the readiness assessment, I'm not taking that until I feel more comfortable with math. I do NOT want to wait any longer to start with school so I'm going to study my head off for a week or so and get it done then.

Kinda funny that I have seen ALEKS mentioned a few times to help study for the readiness assessment. ALEKS is part of the College Algebra class that I am currently taking as part of my IT program. So you will be a bit ahead when you start. Tongue

RE: Readiness Assessment - juliev - 01-28-2014 07:14 AM

I just applied on line but not ready for the assessment test. Can someone tell me where to find reviewers for the test ? been out of school since 1989. Much appreciated.
I just applied on line but not ready for the assessment test. Can someone tell me where to find reviewers for the test ? been out of school since 1989. Much appreciated.

RE: Readiness Assessment - taligator - 01-28-2014 12:54 PM

I just googled for "WGU readiness assessment"